Thu 27 May 2021
Spain News | Moraira- 5 things to love
Moraira- 5 Things to love
Moraira is a small Spanish coastal town on the Costa Blanca, part of the Teulada Moraira municipality. It has 8km of coastline backed by the mountains and valleys of the Marina Alta. It is a family orientated town with 3 sandy beaches and coves, popular with snorkellers and scuba divers. Although the town is busy in the summer months, there is still a peaceful ambience in the streets and a wonderful lack of disco bars and nightclubs. If you live in the Marina Alta inland, Moraira is at the top of the list of places to go if you want a day at the beach, lunch overlooking the sea or cocktails and dinner in a stunning beach side setting.
Whats so special about Moraira? Here are our favourite things about this stunning coastal town:
1. Climate- With the mounatins and surrounding foothills forming a natural vortex to protect it, Moraira has a unique micro climate. There are 300 sunny days a year and it never gets very cold or too hot either! The beaches always have a soft sea breeze, wonderful for sunbathing. Care should be taken to protect from sun damage however, especially with the kids, who are happy to play all day in the shallow waters and clean white sand.
2. Quality of life- If close to the sea is where you yearn to be, Moraira is a dream location. It is a low crime, low pollution area with excellent schools and easy access to the healthcare system. It is busy in summer, but not overly hectic, and the quieter winter months attract more local people and residents from inland who avoid the hustle and bustle in July and August. There is a charming shopping center, with small exclusive boutiques with pleasantly affordable price tags. Moraira has its own, privately owned Marina and the Club Nautico for those with a love for sailing.
3. Excellent investment potential- Property in Moraira notoriously holds its value. The strict planning laws forbid high rise buildings and over-development was stopped in its tracks years ago, keeping the area as desirable now as it has been for years. While some of the other coastal towns have been centred mostly on attracting foreign visitors, Moraira has stayed true to its native people and its origins, there is still a small fishing village feel to the town, albeit with a cosmopolitan vibe. San Tropez without the need for designer beach wear, you might say! There are some of the Costa Blancas most exclusive developments in Moraira and, if you are lucky enough to find a cheaper property that needs a reform, a killing can be made!
4. Cuisine- Here at Jacaranda Spain, we love food from all over the world and if we want something different, Moraira is usually where you will find it. Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Indian, Mexican and the best fish and chips on the Costa! There is literally, something for everyone. Moraira has its own Lonja (fish market) so you know when you order seafood, it is "caught that morning" fresh!
5. Tradition and fiestas- The history of this part of the coast is fascinating and it has shaped the way this town looks. The architecture has moorish influences, indeed the town gets its name from a moorish princess, Ira, la Mora. When the Moors were expelled the Christians added their own touches with the lookout tower Cap D´Or, to watch out for Barbary pirates, and later the Castillo de Moraira, the iconic landmark of Moraira, overlooking the sea. The famous festival of the Moors and Christians is in June and, while most towns in the coastal Marina Alta mark the occasion, Moraira re-enacts the sea battle and marches the soldiers throught the streets. It is spectacular! There are also many festivals to celebrate the history of food, music and dance from the region.
Moraira is a very special coastal town. It has a genuine, laid back holiday vibe with none of your cheap drinks and tacky souvenir shops. You won´t find McDonalds or Burger King. If we are honest, the restaurants and bars charge just that little bit more, but make no apology for it. Moraira is, after all, a cut above your average seaside town.
If you think Moraira could be the perfect place to relocate to, here at Jacaranda Spain we have properties and new build prospects in Moraira. We also work closely with our colleagues and associates who are based on the coast, giving us an extensive bank of stunning coastal properties.
Let us do the searching for you to help you find your own personal paradise in the sun!