Fri 7 August 2020
Property News | 6 Interior design styles that will add value and sell your house
6 Interior design styles that will add value and sell your house
At Jacaranda Spain we always try to offer advice to our house sellers with regard to optimising their chances of selling efficiently. Your interior design choice can add thousands to the value of your home. Often, with a few inexpensive tweaks, a house can become instantly more attractive to a wider group of buyers.
A recent survey by a financial services company proved that interior style has a significant impact on the value and desirability of your home. Researchers searched properties based on key terms for design styles. They then calculated average values of properties with a given style (eg. minimal, rustic, industrial) and average prices were calculated.
The top 6 interior design styles, that add value, and how to create them:
1. Scandinavian- Think neutral tones and warm textures. Rooms are light and uncluttered but still warm and cosy. So you may choose white for your walls but add accents and natural fabrics and materials.
2. Farmhouse- Mixing old furniture with new. Lots of wood and earthy colours to keep it warm and cosy.
3. Rustic- Rugged natural materials and colours to achieve this look. Adapt old furniture, weathered wood and hand-stitched materials.
4. Bohemian- This is your quirky, individual look. Use arty textiles and splashes of colour.
5. Vintage- Search your local flea market for pieces to create this look. ( Jalón Rastro is perfect ) Antique and 2nd hand furniture. Think traditional colours, authentic vintage light fittings, old Chinese rugs etc.
6. Contemporary- This look takes elements from the 80s and 90s. so think, soft and rounded lines with clean and crisp colours (not sharp modern lines like in the modern style).
Other styles that have a positive effect on value include Mid-century modern, Minimalist, Industrial and Traditional.
Of course, your home is a reflection of your personality and it is full of the memories and mementoes you have collected along the way. When it comes to selling a much loved family home, we advise our clients to take away the emotion that makes it their home, and offer your prospective buyers a place that THEY can call home.